Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Ray Barrus 5k memorial race

The 4th of July has always been one of my favorite holidays! It is even more special now that we get to share it with a memorial to my dad! The Ray Barrus 5K memorial run has been a fun tradition for our family. I have participated every year with the exception of two when I was VERY pregnant (Briggs July 14th & Brennon Aug. 20th) and this year thanks to recent surgery and to add insult to injury a broken toe!

I have been very proud to participate. And now my heart is so full of pride for my sons who have chosen to honer their grandpa by participating also.


Briggs never got to meet his "Grandpa Ray" and still follows in his footsteps. He ran the 5K this year in 21min! WOW!! Finishing first of anyone under 16. I cried when I saw him coming toward the finish line way ahead of anyone near his age. Finishing 33 overall out of 350!

Devon a self proclaimed "non runner" finished in 23min. coming in 65th overall.



It is so exciting for me to see a small tradition that started with aprox. 20 runners become a community event. I was so touched to see people who are my friends & acquaintances participating. I know everyone was there for there own reasons but I also want to believe some small part of them was also there for me!

So THANK YOU to everyone who participated, for whatever reason!

6 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

It is beyond awesome to participate...and it is beyond awesome to remember such an amazing guy---who has now such an amazing family who honors him!! You guys ROCK!!!

Kami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kami said...

I think of you and your family every year at the 5k! I know your dad is proud of having such a great event held is his honor!!!

Gail said...

It is an awesome event. You have some natural runners in your family! I would be lucky to finish it in 3 hours!

Diane said...

I loved your dad! What a neat post, thanks for sharing!

Scott said...

Our family takes a lot of pride in having a race named in honor of our father. We home that our community will continue to support our father's race. Remember: the race is called the Ray Barrus Memorial Race, NOT the "cowboy classic". Don't be fooled into signing up for the wrong race! :)