Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Meet Sally....

The newest member of our family came to us through Brennon (surprise) and his love of animals, more specifically farm animals.

His good friend Ty Tittmus offered to give him one of their bummer goats. After much begging and, many promises about who would take care of this goat MJ and I agreed.

Brennon decided to name his goat Thomas until we discovered "he" was a "she" (this happens to us ALOT!) So then the name of Sally was chosen.

Brennon had to go out three times a day and bottle feed her. The worst part for Bren was mixing up the formula, he would gag and heave if he smelled it. (lol) He soon learned how to avoid this problem..... He would bribe his brothers to mix it up for him!


I never knew a goat could have so much personality! I thought it would be like a lamb or pig, something that just sat in it's pen and ate. Boy was I wrong! Sally will follow Bren or Ashley (our darling beagle) all over the yard. It didn't take her long to figure out that the people were in the house, and that's where she wanted to be! So she would come up to the back door and butt it with her head! So MJ said "open the door see what she does" well she came right on in! She came over to the coach to nudge your hand so you would pet her! And now she tries to come in every chance she gets. If we wont open the back door she will lay down right outside of it, or go to the front door! (she has now learned from Ashley to scratch the door with her hoof) I'm not sure if all goats are like this or if ours is just confused and thinks she is a dog? But it has been fun getting to know her!

3 comments:

Gail said...

That is great. I had no ideas goats were so full of personality either. Don't tell my kids or they'll want one!

Diane said...

I am so not a pet person, but that is adorable! :)

Kami said...

You are like the greatest mom ever!!! I won't even let my kids have fish! Does it count that we have several dead and stuffed animals around our house; bears, goats, cougars, deer??? I think my kids are going to need therapy!