Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sweet ride......

MJ came home the other night and announced.. "I got Dev a car!" (because of the twinkle in his eye, I will admit I was a little suspicious.) I said "oh yea what is it?" to which he replied "ahh 1984 Mercury something, Dev wont drive it!" But it was free! (At this point I was liking the car more and more.)

So when I picked Dev up from the school after his game I told him his dad had scored him a sweet ride! (and because of the twinkle in my eye, Dev was extremely suspicious.)
Devs friend Lincoln decided he couldn't miss this and came home with us to see..

First reaction..... Does it even run?
Second.......... It's almost old enough to be cool again!
Third....... Can we take it for a ride?

Why not?

(um... no license, not registered, no insurance, needs tires.)

Oh well go for it!

They had a great time circling the neighborhood in the newly pronounced Butterfly!
(turns out it's a Mercury Monarch, yep that's why it's the butterfly)

I'm pretty sure it's not the car any teenager would choose, but I was pretty dang proud of Devon for appreciating what his dad had done for him. And being willing to make the best of it!
(he mentioned painting the hood ornament neon pink.)

*I guess this goes under the heading....
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

I know I'm not the only one who did not receive a new (or any) car when I turned 16. So please feel free to leave your memories of your first car. We would love to hear them!




5 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

I was lucky enough to get the Toyota tercel that had already been through #1 Someone before our family #2 Jessica, #3 Keysha, and #4 Colter. By the time it got to me, surprisingly it was still in pretty good shape. My friends and I dubbed it "The Smurf" cause it was small, cute and blue. 3 months later...yeah...I rolled it. Was that the end of the Smurf?? No way. My dad kicked up the roof, replaced the windshield and Lacey drove it for another year and a half! WAHOO!!!

Hansen Family said...

That car is perfect for dev! if anyone can make it a cool car he can! I love it. I drove a 1983 crystler new yorker, with pleather seats and shagg carpet! it was so sweet the shaggin wagon as everyone called it!

Gail said...

I love it! I could push my first car faster than it drove on it's own. It started a long history of cars with issues. :)

Kami said...

He will always love this car!! My first car was "the mud slinger" it had an 8 track, started with out a key and had red plasic tail lights that were duck taped on (my dads favorite "tool")! I loved it and it was such a peice of crap my parents were totally cool about me taking it egging. It even made it into a homecoming parade once, after we used some of the cheerleading poster paint to decorate it up! Keep the butterfly Devon, it will make great memories!

Kami said...

I really need to read over my comments, sorry about the typos !!!!