Monday, October 6, 2008

My Dad....

Days seem to fly by, but every year on this day my DAD is in my thoughts all day. He passed away 14 years ago today, far too soon. I know our Heavenly Father has a plan.... with that said sometimes, I feel like I got gypped! He was taken far too soon, my kids never even knew him.




I didn't know the man in this picture, I didn't know the All American distance runner, I didn't know the man who won the first Deseret News Marathon. People have asked what it was like to see my dad run those races. I don't know, I was too young. I just remember a man who loved to run and to be active in any way. He encouraged us all to run. Dad really believed running could fix anything, if we had allot on our mind he would say "go for a run" when I would get car sick on long rides dad would stop, and have me get out and "run a while" then he would pick me up about a mile down the road. I will admit I didn't always want to (kinda like piano lessons) but I now have a love of running. It really does clear your head! If you don't believe me just give it a try, it can be very addictive.






Random stuff I loved about my DAD...


1. He wanted everyone to be doing something productive at all times. ( ok I didn't always love this!)

2. He took circus peanuts on any and all road trips. (I don't even like them, but they remind me of my dad)

3.He had a deep faith in the gospel.

4. He felt strongly about keeping your body healthy with good food and exercise.

5.He loved to spend time rigging up stuff for us kids to play on. Big hot pink swing sets with trapeze, bungi cord swings, wrestling mats with dish soap. etc.. (I know your laughing right now!)

6. He made awesome divinity.







Me and my dad at our 1st daddy daughter date.








I still use the scriptures with his name on them that he gave me just before he passed away, they are very old so when someone references a scripture with page numbers mine never match up but I don't care I feel like my dad is with me when I read them.


I Love you dad and I miss you!

3 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

Your dad was amazing. My mom has told me stories about him, and I also feel a little sadder for never having known a spectacular man like him! He would be proud of you- how could he NOT be? You are a wonderful mother, wife, and daughter of God. Who, probably without knowing, always has a smile on when I see you (which always makes me smile = happy day) your children speak volumes as to what kind of woman you are. Having taught Devon (sp?) I know your children are spiritual, loving, intelligent kiddos. And I love them, just as I love you. He would be proud of you......
oh....
and keep running :)!!! I am right there with you!

Krista said...

That young picture of your dad looks just like Brennon! What a handsome guy... lucky Brennon!

I agree that you are a GREAT MOM Heather!

Hansen Family said...

Thanks for that it made me cry and laught all at once! is that possible? amd the wrestling matts with dish soap rocks!!! I widh my kids could do that. ok I wish i could still do it! One thing I remember about dad is whenever I got hurt a scrape, bruise,headache sprain or een the flu dad would say lets wrap it. He would pull out the old ace bandage and wrap what ever was hurting me! And it always worked.